Stoneworks Garth, Crosby Ravensworth
14 June 2013
LABC Chief Executive Paul Everall said “Our regional building excellence awards are an opportunity to celebrate good practice. All our winners demonstrated how attention to detail and a positive working relationship with Building Control departments can achieve high quality and sustainable buildings fit for the future. Our awards are unique because they recognise how the work of local authority surveyors helps to improve building standards and boost sustainability and efficiency.
“This community focused housing development was built smoothly and efficiently to a very high standard of craftsmanship – showing the importance of working together to raise building standards. I am sure everyone is really proud of this development that provides much needed affordable homes in an expensive part of the country and at the same time redevelops an unused brownfield site in a picturesque Cumbrian village.”
LABC is the member organisation representing local authority building control departments in England and Wales. Its membership includes over 3,000 professional surveyors and support technicians and has a 75% market share of building control across these sectors: domestic conversions and improvements; new homes and apartments; commercial offices, workshops, industrial and warehouses; education; healthcare; care homes; retail; leisure and entertainment; and stadiums.
All entries were assessed against the following criteria:
- Compliance with building regulations and requests made by the building control team
- Site safety
- Consistency of construction
- Relationship between client and BC team
- Design, craftsmanship and architectural merit of the project
- Good project team work
- Innovation in construction techniques and materials to achieve overall excellence in the project
- Stand out features and difficulties that were overcome specific to the project. This means it goes above and beyond normal practice